This week we asked you to identify the particulars of the piece of text below.
The answers are:
- The extract is from a Register of Sasines. A sasine is the act or procedure of giving possession of feudal property, until 1845 by the symbolical delivery of earth and stones or similar appropriate objects on the property itself, and by the later registration of the deed of conveyance in the local Register of Sasines.
- This Register of Sasines is for the Regality of Glasgow and Sheriffdom of Renfrew.
- The covering dates are 22 August 1654 to 31 May 1656.
- The name mentioned is James Marschell.
- He is designated as keeper (of the register).
The Register off Seasings off the
Regalitie off glasgow & shereffdome off Ren-
frew begune the twintie twa day off agust
jajvic~ fiftie four yeires & endit the last off
may jajvic~ fiftie sax yeires By James
merschell Keiper t[hai]roff
If you would like to contribute palaeography posers to the website contact us.
Find more posers either by date or record type.