In this week's poser, we asked you to transcribe 10 examples from a volume of 17th century Orkney testaments (National Records of Scotland, CC17/2/8). In the first instance you were asked to transcribe the emboldened letters and in the second tackle the smaller letters.
1. IN THE First the said umquhile William Davidsone
2. AT Brabuster in Deirnes the Tuentie
fourth day of December the yeir of God Jajvjc~ sextie Four yeiris
3. AT Kirkwall the sext day of August...
It is appoyntit aggried contractit and finallie...
4. Qwott is xxiiij lib~ xs~
Followis the tennor of the Testament mutuall vnderwr[itte]n
BE IT Kend till all men be thir pr[ese]n[t] l[ett]res We
Magnus Broun and Inglische Walter my spous Sieing it is the dewtie and caire...
5. AT S[ain]t Nicholas Kirk in Hoy:
The Threttie day of Jan[uar]y Jajvjc~ sextie fyve yeiris
6. Imprimis The said defunct wes Justlie restand and addebtit...
7. AT S[ain]t Margarets Hoop in Southronaldsha
The fourthein day of Jan[ua]ry Jajvjc~ sextie fyve yeiris
8. THE Testament Dative and Inventar of the...
9. ATT The Kirk of Walls The Tuentie thrie
day of Jan[ua]rij The yeir of God Jajvjc~ sextie Fyve yeiris
10. AT Marie Kirk in the yle of Rousay
The fourteinth day of March Jajvjc~ Sextiefour
This week's poser was contributed by 'Ciorstag'.
If you would like to contribute palaeography posers to the website contact us.
Find more posers either by date or record type.